- Behold, the best fashion campaigns for fall 2021, which is truly right around the corner. (The Cut)
- These photos—of the 20th century American west—taken by Lora Webb Nichols, are pretty amazing. (Kottke)
- Hilarious and true: “I Appreciate When Men Interrupt Me Even When I’m Trying to Tell Them There’s a Fire.” (McSweeney’s)
- The transgender Roman emperor that history forgot. (Messy Nessy Chic)
- Here’s a fun Q&A with Simon LeBon, late of Duran Duran. (Vulture)
- I am totally on board with this essay about why the teenaged characters are the best part of the HBO series White Lotus. (Vogue)
- This piece—about 106 year-old Tulsa Massacre survivor Lessie Benningfield Randle, who is seeking reparations for that tragic event—is pretty moving. (Marie Claire)
- Fascinating and harrowing: One woman’s escape from sex trafficking. (Elle)
- I’m pretty of bummed that Andrew Cuomo—who was a source of strength for so many during the early days of Covid—turns out to be rather a pig. (New York)
- And finally, I’m not sure you’ve lived unless you’ve checked out some of Prince’s custom heels. (NY Times)
Simon Le Bon – that is all … sigh….. 🙂
My first true love!
I am bummed that I am far away from Minneapolis and the Prince shoe exhibition. I hope some GOACAs in that area can attend and report back.
OMG I am traveling to Minnesota right now!! (for my job) – I may have to make my co-workers humor me 😉
Great set of links as always, Kim. No matter how long I live I will never understand why men can’t just be good leaders and, instead, why so often good male leaders also lead with their little head. ugh.
The Cuomo stuff seriously makes me sick. His daily briefings were the only thing keeping me sane during the pandemic. They were to me what my mother said FDR’s fireside chats were to her. And now to hear this…. It’s just so awful
Super well said about Cuomo – he was ballast during the pandemic. It’s so disappointing to learn – as you say – he’s a pig. As a feminist woman who is blessed to have many wonderful men in my life, I find myself still, on the regular, asking the age-old question: What on earth is wrong with the men people?
Men Interrupting Me–I’m in tech and usually the only woman on the daily standup call. I am also the sole person with an (acknowledged) specific subject matter expertise, and still, the overtalking happens. Yesterday was not a good day, and I felt myself scolding the interrupter like my dog, “No…NO…NOOOO!…” Exasperating! It was effective, but why do I need to work up a fit to be heard?
I ask myself that last question all too frequently. Sigh.
I love The White Lotus it’s so good -poor Armand is headed for disaster I think😆
Hi Kim — Thanks for including the moving (and ultimately enraging) Tulsa Massacre survivor story in the list, but there’s no link.
Here’s the link:
Cuomo isn’t really “rather a pig” but a serial predator, a bully, and a liar. It’s been widely known in political circles for years that he is abusive to staff and a toxic narcissist as well as unreliable with the truth.
I cancelled my subscription because MAGA Haberman fries my last nerve, so I am careful now in clicking any NYT link since I only get a few free article per month. But I must say that story on Prince’s shoe collection was worth it.
Would you explain your comment about Maggie Haberman?
I don’t want to put political stuff here in GOACA but will just say you might google her mom and where she works, and for whom. This explains a lot about her ongoing access. I will also say, as a DC journalist myself, that people sucking up to bad but powerful people in order to further themselves economically (book contracts! tv shows!) is a real thing.
Fantastic links today, Kim! Everyone take a sec to watch Questlove’s Prince story – it’s GOOD: https://youtu.be/L9QmFfZ2LHU
Hmm. First, it would be a great idea if from now on, there isn’t any touching in the workplace besides handshakes (once we get back to those). Maybe an occasional tap on a shoulder. Second, this shows why a functioning HR department is a good idea. Nip things in the bud. Don’t let them fester. (However, as humans, this isn’t how we operate, so if you ever do see a good HR department in your life, count yourself lucky. We are good at trashing people in the media afterwards though. Oh, and suing too.) Third … I am not even the tiniest bit surprised by the articles about the new report *except* for the actual touching, which again is totally a bad idea pretty much always. (I’m not going to read the actual report.) My feeling is, one could tell from how he treated De Blasio that the guy has some issues. As for being maybe kind of a jerk and somewhat of a bully, well, then don’t vote for him. If he really did grope someone’s boob while working, then I would think better of him if he did resign. I don’t think he will though. Finally, for those of you who’ve never worked on campaigns, the social dynamics of his staff as described today in the NYT are ordinary. Not perhaps something to be proud of, but ordinary imo. Also, I thought it was interesting that he has so many female execs. A good therapist would have a lot to work with.
“functioning HR department” there’s an oxymoron! 🙂