- This Gucci ad campaign—based on iconic moments in Stanley Kubrick movies—is really something. (YouTube)
- I dig a vintage travel poster, and these, from New Zealand, are no exception. (Collectors Weekly)
- The 52 best movies under 90 minutes. (Vulture)
- Relatedly, here are the 71 best movies based on true stories. (Town & Country)
- My Therapist, The Robot: this was fascinating and a little freaky. (NYT)
- Jenn and I hosted writer Carmen Rita Wong on Everything is Fine this week, and we’re talking family, secrets, and more. (Apple Podcasts)
- A fun interview with my most unlikely crush, Seth Rogen. (Vogue)
- I enjoyed this piece about the so-called “Bjork of Food,” Laila Gohar. (New Yorker)
- Amusing. (McSweeney’s)
- And finally: I love Billy Eichner and am definitely going to see this. (YouTube)
Dig the McSweeney’s – thanks! … … … So, does anyone care to hear my minor complaint about a certain unrelated marketing trend? (I’ve been saving it for the Friday section. I’m trying to become less negative! Ha.)
i’m all ears.
Oh, thank you, y.k.!! Okay, I admit – in the scheme of things, it’s not much. But, I would sooooo appreciate it if certain people hawking items on the telly would *not* pretend we are best friends who are trapped in a closet and have to whisper! It was bad enough when it was just the one blonde lady doing it – and I’m sure she’s a very nice person! – But then, an actress did it too for some other item, and I just feel a need to say, that I don’t care how nice your product is, if you do this to me I will *never* use it. (Probly. I used to be really good at holding a grudge, but, these days I’m slipping.) Couldn’t they please just talk normally? And don’t stick the camera up your nose? Pretty please?? … … … What’s horrifyingly fascinating is, if people spend money to make ads like this, does that mean that this is working on somebody?? And then I wonder, what horrible ads are working on *me,* and I’m not even aware?? I think I will go hide under the bed. (As you can see, I still watch normal telly sometimes.) Most ads, I just hit the “mute” button and read or something. Somehow these ads just *bug* me. Like, I’d rather smell bad. Anyhow, thanks for letting me get this off my chest!
That Gucci ad! Wow wow wow. Great list this week — thank you!
Ah OMG same Billy Eichner! Running to see this
I love Seth too!! BACK OFF KIM
Seth Rogen is eminently crush-worthy! Even when he was heavier and dorkier, before the slim-down, pottery and weed advocacy, he was cute and projected intelligence, humor and a basic decency.