Hello ladies, and how are you all? I’m pretty decent, everything considered, and am hoping you are too. I’ve been doing a lot of cooking around here—if one good thing comes from this awful time for me, it is that I’ve stopped ordering takeout daily and started making my own food again, which is nice, as I’m actually not bad at it. And, because the mask my mom gave me before things got really bad is pretty trashed by now, I’ve been skulking around outside (on the rare occasions that I do go outside) in this robber bandana getup. Please let me know how you and yours are faring in the comments, and have a peaceful weekend. I present the following to you for your amusement, education, or both:
- I’ve been listening to a ton of Brazilian music—it’s just the thing for preventing one of my darker moods—and have especially been enjoying songs by a guy called Seu Jorge. Here is his awesome cover of Starman by David Bowie.
- The third season of Ozark has arrived, and you can watch it on Netflix. It’s a freaking dark show, and the occasional violence can be a bit much, but if you haven’t watched it—and you loved, say, Breaking Bad—you will likely enjoy this too. Laura Linney is genius as a housewife who’s gone rogue, and I love Jason Bateman in anything.
- I made this soup, and it is as delicious as it is easy.
- Several of you have asked for suggestions regarding where to give money during this time to support those who’ve been financially affected by this crisis. Today I donated here to a fund set up to support out-of-work domestic workers.
- Horribly, Adam Schlesinger, of the band Fountains of Wayne, and who also wrote songs for the TV show Crazy Ex-Girlfriend died this week of Coronavirus complications. Here’s a very pretty song of his called “All Kinds of Time.”
- Several of you have asked about where to find handmade masks; I purchased a few from this Etsy store.
- The Getty Museum in L.A. asked people to recreate classic paintings with stuff they had lying around the house, and the results are awesome.