- These wildlife photos, from the National Geographic travel photographer of the year contest are pretty stunning. (My Modern Met)
- This story, about a “socialite” grifter who duped all sorts of fabulous people in New York, is pretty juicy. (The Cut)
- It’s Tracy Morgan and it’s been too long. (Vulture)
- I like these sculptures of everyday objects made from scraps by artist Lydia Ricci. (Kottke)
- The time somebody tried to make glass dresses a thing. (Atlas Obscura)
These Adidas originals are so excellently candy-colored.
This pair is by the Brooklyn-based sneaker company Greats, and I find them quite graphic and appealing.
I wish I had a lipstick in this color—it’s a perfect plum.
This is such a good dark green, and they’ve got a little snakeskin detail on the tab, which I like.
OK, these aren’t all that colorful, but why not have just a tiny bit of fun with a leopard-striped pair?
Of course I love the blue and black color scheme of these Vans Old Skools.
Such a happy, poppy pink.
I like the slightly faded-out blue on these Adidas Gazelles.
And I also I dig the striped lining on this chambray pair from New Balance.
I think these are spectacular.
And these have way too much going on, but it all kind of works.
Few issues divide the GOACA community quite like shorts do: some of you like them just fine, others find them to be nothing short of an instrument of the devil. And I understand the loathing: they can be tough to wear and unflattering too. But if you wear a shoe with some height, I think even the less-than-perfectly-willowy can get away with them. I love the way a Bermuda-length short looks with a button-down—very casual preppy chic—and this pair is nicely slouchy.
This red pair is awfully snappy.
I showed you these Vince shorts last week in black, but I think they’re pretty classic in the khaki too.
I bought a version of these James Perse shorts a couple of years ago, and they are insanely comfortable.
This chambray pair is pretty cute.
And I’m a big fan of the check pattern here.
These are linen, which is a nice material to have next to your skin when the weather turns toasty.
I almost didn’t include this pair, because the last time I showed denim cutoff shorts, a whole flotilla of you complained that they’re the easiest thing in the world to make yourself and not worth the cash, but every time I try to make my own cutoffs I screw it up somehow, and possibly you are the same. Anyway, I like how these hit right at the knee.
- Here’s a gorgeous short film with the most graceful underwater dancing, created and performed by Julie Gautier. (Kottke)
- And I liked this animated short on the life of Marie Curie, the first female female Nobel laureate. (Open Culture)
- Well this is nice news: a new study finds that sleeping in on the weekend helps you live longer. (My Modern Met)
- This cultural history of ugly sandals amuses. (Racked)
- A moving piece about one woman’s efforts to rebuild her life after her husband’s suicide. (Vogue)
Am I the only one who already owns too many striped tees, but is always on the lookout for more? They are the most addictive of garments, and can skew preppy or Euro or even punk rock depending on how you wear them. I like them paired with a snappy blazer, like Mme. Emmanuelle Alt is doing here, but there are so many ways to wear them this time of year: with jeans or dressed up with skinny black pants or a skirt; mixed with other prints or all on their own.
The colors here are so excellently new wave.
Just a good basic V-neck.
The flare sleeve here brings a dose of femininity to the party.
Yes, this r13 tee is on the spendy side, but it is fabricated with 5% cashmere, which makes it impossibly soft. I lucked into this tee on sale a few years ago and it just gets better. Here is a cheaper option if you’re interested.
Chevron stripes count as stripes, right?
A very French girl choice, in graphic red and white.
This is so Peter Brady, in a really good way.
Red and blue always pops so satisfyingly.
I like the combination of stripe widths here.
I am a sucker for a contrasting stripe.
The sleeve length on this choice from APC is really chic.
Another kind of retroish option.
A really fun—and even versatile— color combination.